Friday, June 29

Joke Help

I was sorting out a drawer of books I had under my bed (check my ebay in the next few days, they're all going on), after my hard week of decorating and a tattered copy of "Oh no Not Another 1000 Jokes For Kids!!" came into my hand.

It was then that I remembered the joke of doom, that one joke that me, Pete and everyone else that ever read it never got.

I got Googling and found this on b3ta. This could in fact have been written by Pete...

When I was younger, my Dad bought me and my brother one of those joke books. There was this one joke that I never understood, and still don't, and neither does my brother or anyone else I've told it too, and it still annoys the hell out of me to this day, 15 years later.

It goes:

'It was getting near to Jimmy's birthday, so Mum asked him what he wanted most. 'A ping pong ball mom!' Mum was confused, and spoke to dad about it.


The next day, Dad asked Jimmy what he wanted - 'A ping-pong ball dad!' Dad was similarly confused. The next day, they both asked him, and still the reply was 'A ping-pong ball please!'

Each time they asked him what he wanted, Jimmy would always say 'A ping-pong ball!' On his birthday, Jimmy opened lots of presents, including a new bike, but looked dissapointed.

Then, Mum and Dad handed him a box, which he opened, and exclaimed 'Wow! A ping-pong ball! Thanks!' He then rushed upstairs, extremely excited. After a few minutes, mum and dad crept upstairs to see why Jimmy was so excited.

Dad peeked around Jimmy's door, and exclaimed 'Ah! So THATS what you wanted the ping pong ball for'

And that's it, thats the joke. What the hell! Where's the punchline!? Why did he want a ping-pong ball? What was he doing with it? Why is it so important! Is it just me being thick or what? It is some kind of postmodernist joke, y'know, it's-funny-cos-there-is-no-punchline? Is it funny cos you never find out why he wanted the bastard ping pong ball and that's the joke? WHAT IS IT! And why has this bugged the crap out of me for 15 years!!!

To this day, I can't hear the words 'ping-pong ball' without wincing.


But I couldn't find any replies or follow up posts. Nghtmare!!

Bit more Googling and I found an alternative joke about the same thing but it's lost the key unexplainable punchline!

There is this little boy and he is about to turn 10. His dad asked him what he wanted for his birthday. So his son says Dad, all I want is a ping pong ball. So his dad, puzzled, gets him a ping pong ball. He goes into the woods and comes back but he doesn't have the ping pong ball any more.

So he is about to turn 13 now. His dad asked him what he wanted for his birthday. So his son says Dad, all I want is a pack of ping pong ball. So his dad, puzzled, gets him a pack of ping pong balls. He goes into the woods and comes back but he doesn't have the ping pong balls any more.

So he is about to turn 16. His dad asked him what he wanted for his birthday. So his son says Dad, all I want is a box of ping pong balls. So his dad, puzzled, gets him a box of ping pong balls. He goes into the woods and comes back but he doesn't have the ping pong balls any more.

So he is turning 18 now. His dad asked him what he wanted for his birthday. So his son says Dad, all I want is a 5 gallon bucket of ping pong balls. So his dad, puzzled, gets him a 5 gallon bucket of ping pong balls. He goes into the woods and comes back but he doesn't have the ping pong balls any more.

Now he is turning 21. His dad asked him what he wanted for his birthday. So his son says Dad, all I want is a dump truck full of ping pong balls. So his dad, puzzled, gets him a dump truck full of ping pong balls. He goes into the woods and comes back but he doesn't have the ping pong balls any more.

A couple years later, his son gets in a terrible car accident and is hospitalized. So his dad is by his side and all, and he says to his son.....Son, I have to know one thing, WHAT in the world did you do with all those ping pong balls!??!?!?!


His son looks up, and he says....Dad, I ........and then he died.

More Googling....no results.

Someone, somewhere must have an explanation PLEASE!!!!!

2 Comments:

Peter Heaney said...

This joke has psychologically damaged me. Years ago, I was a promising table tennis player, ranked number 4 in the world behind Joey Paddlelot and the Ting-Tang-Tong brothers from Chinese Taipei. Then I heard the joke, and was from that day forward unable to even look at a ping pong ball without remembering the terror of the punchline-less gag.

I shiver as I type.

Peter Heaney said...

"I said ping-pong balls, not King Kong's balls!"

Now that's a ping-pong gag.

blogger templates | Make Money Online